"Welcome to Earth!" In honor of July 4th, we celebrate the 1996 scifi blockbuster Independence Day with a full length film commentary! We discuss what made Roland Emmerich's film so successful, debate if ID4 still holds up 18 years later, and explore what it would look like if it was made today. Grab a Fruitopia, fire up your VHS, and enjoy this wisecracking Super Fantastic Nerd Hour holiday episode. Special guest, speculative fiction writer Derek Bishop.
- 0:00 – 02:25:23: Independence Day film commentary.
- Independence Day is the top grossing film of 1996
- Honest Trailers - Independence Day
- Anthropologists explain how to approach aliens parked in Earth orbit
- Independence Day Trivia
- Who destroyed the White House best?
- First Contact infographic
- What happens to a doomsday cult when the world doesn't end?
- "Who shot Alexander Hamilton?" Got Milk commercial
- A Bill Pullman Independence Day in New York City
- Eve of Saint Crispin's Day speech from Henry V
- The Hero of Canton, The Man They Call Jane
- Brent Spiner's web series - Fresh Hell
- 7 Scientific Facts That Will Ruin Movies for You
- Portlandia - The Knot Store
- Fox Taps Carter Blanchard For ‘Independence Day’ Sequel Rewrite
- Independence Days from across the Multiverse